Special Rate Variation | Ensuring our Future
We need your help to make some important decisions. Like many other NSW councils, our roads, footpaths, drainage and other community assets require ongoing maintenance and upgrades to ensure they meet the needs of the community.
As things currently stand, Council’s revenue is regulated under ‘rate pegging’. The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) sets a rate peg which limits the amount by which councils can increase their rate revenue from one year to the next. For many years, the rate peg has not kept pace with the cost to provide services to the community.
We are seeking your feedback on a proposal to apply to IPART for a Special Rate Variation (SRV). Council has identified a 14.25% SRV is required in addition to the IPART approved Rate Peg (estimate cumulative increase in the General Rate is 22.2%; subject to movements in the Rate Peg). Without this, Council will not be able to meet the community service delivery and infrastructure needs and will not be Fit for the Future.
While we understand a rate rise is never welcome, we believe a SRV is necessary to meet the needs of the community.
In November 2016, Council engaged the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) to conduct independent community consultation regarding a SRV. We will also be seeking community feedback through a range of media, including online and hardcopy formats, with details on page 4 of the below newsletter.
Our priority is to ensure a vibrant future for our community, so I encourage you to take the time to read the newsletter listed below. More in-depth information is also available at locations listed on page 4 of the newsletter.
Consultation regarding the Special Rate Variation application has closed.
Newsletter & Fact Sheets
|Newsletter||Frequently Asked Questions||Financial Information||Fit For the Future|
Printed Fact Sheets on the SRV are also available at the Council Administration Centre, Inverell Shire Library, Ashford Rural Transaction Centre, Gilgai Store, Delungra Post Office and Yetman General Store.
Related documents and information
- Special Rate Variation - Briefing Paper
- Rate Comparison Table
- Rate Impact Table
- Road Asset Management Plan
- Path Asset Management Plan
- Drainage Asset Management Plan
- Long Term Financial Plan 2017-2027
- Four Year Long Term Delivery Plan 2016-2020
- Media Release - Council Asks For Community Feedback
- Special Variation Section 508A & 505(2) Application Form - Part A
- Special Variation Application Form - Part B
How to obtain further information
We are providing a number of ways for the community to obtain further information about the Special Rate Variation application.
Further information can be obtained by:
- Contacting Council on (02) 6728 8288;
- Attending the information displays in place at Inverell Shire Library and Council's Administration Centre;
- Visiting www.myinverellmysay.com.au;
- Visiting the IPART website;
- Visit Council's Fit for the Future webpage.
Have your say
There are a number of ways for the community can express their opinion and provide feedback regarding the Special Rate Variation application.
Feedback can be lodged by the following ways:
- Online at www.myinverellmysay.com.au;
- Via the community kiosk at the Inverell Shire Library;
- Complete the online survey below.
Please note: The online survey has now closed.
The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) conducted telephone survey's of a representative sample of local residents regarding a SRV during December.
The online survey has now closed. Should you require further information regarding the Special Rate Variation application please contact Council on 02 6728 8288.