Frequently Asked Questions

How can I contact Council?

To view Council's contact details, please click on the link.

What towns are located within the Inverell Shire?

Click on the link to view a list of the towns and villages located within the Inverell Shire.

Can I apply for Australian citizenship?  

To apply for australian citizenship, follow the link to Council's Citizenship page.

How can I pay my land and water rates?

To view all the options offered by Council to pay Rates and Water, please follow the link.

Are there any jobs available at Council?

To view Council's current employment opportunities, follow the link below to Council's Positions Vacant page.

How can I arrange a meeting with a manager or director at Council?

Appointments with managers and directors within Council need to be pre-booked in advance. This can be done at the Administration Centre of Inverell Shire Council located at 144 Otho Street, Inverell or alternatively, by contacting the correct department to which the Manager or Director works. A list of contact numbers are provided below. 

Administration (02) 6728 8288
Civil & Environmental Services (02) 6728 8200
Corporate & Economic Services    (02) 6728 8288
Planning & Development (02) 6728 8200
Rates (02) 6728 8201
Library (02) 6728 8130
Tourist Information Centre (02) 6728 8161

If you are unsure of which department, please contact the Administration telephone number above and the main switchboard operator will you through to the correct department.

I have a query about my water meter. Where can I get more information?

For all Water Meter inquiries please contact the Civil and Environmental Services department at the Inverell Shire Council on (02) 6728 8200 to discuss any matters regarding water meter breakages, leakages, or loss of water within your house.

Civil and Environmental Services also deal with matters regarding any Sewerage issues, please contact (02) 6728 8200 for any further assistance.

Our team of qualified works will be keen to assist you in any way possible from fixing the breakage through to informing you on the details of other areas affected by a broken main water pipe.

For After Hours Emergencies please contact:
Water Supply: 0428 669 501
Sewerage: 0428 669 502

How do I get my water connected?

Follow the link to Services Applications & Forms to download an Application for Water Connection. For further information contact Council on (02) 6728 8200.

What is a BASIX certificate?

Introduced by the NSW Government, BASIX, the Building Sustainability Index, ensures homes are designed to use less potable water and be responsible for fewer greenhouse gas emissions by setting energy and water reduction targets for house and units. For further information visit

Where do I find a 149 Certificate?

Follow the Building & Development Application Forms link and download the 'Certificate Application' Form.

How can I get a copy of a property plan from Council's archives?

Archive Retrieval of residential and property plans is available within the Inverell Shire Council. An 'Archive Retrieval Application Form' must be completed. Follow the link below to download the form. Once this form is completed there is a 10 working day turnaround and the costs of the plans are available on the second page of the form. Also the cost of photocopying and plan printing is totalled for you by the Customer Service Officer once the form has been filled out. They will also issue you with a receipt number and an expected date of return for the plans. Please note you must have approval from the owner of the land and premises to access its plans and that a signature is required. [Building & Development Application Forms]

How do I get a new garbage bin or parts to fix mine?

To order, replace or repair a bin, please contact Council either in person at the Administration Centre, via phone on (02) 6728 8288 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. For more information, please visit Council's Waste Management page.

How much does it cost to take rubbish to the Inverell Tip?

All vehicles entering the landfill will go over the weighbridges and the charge applicable will be based on the weight and type of material deposited, rather than by an estimated volume which has been the general practice. Payments may be made by cash, cheque or EFTPOS. The base rates have not changed but the weighbridge operation will result in a more accurate determination of the applicable charge. Any enquiries concerning the operation of the landfill should be directed to Council’s Civil and Environmental Services Division on 02 67288 200.

What are the opening hours of the Inverell tip?

The Inverell Waste Depot Opening Hours are available for your information.

How do I apply to hold a street stall or raffle stand in the Inverell Shire?

To hold a street stall, raffle stand or BBQ in the Inverell shire you need to  complete and return the form. It is preffered that at least two (2) weeks notice is given. Visit the Street Stall & Raffle Ticket Stand page to find out how.

Does the Inverell Shire Council run or have any restrictions on the local markets?

Inverell Shire Council does not run or have any regulations on the Inverell Sapphire City Markets. Inverell Lions run the Inverell Sapphire City Markets on the first and third Sunday of each month, on the banks of the Macintyre River in Campbell Park starting at 6:30am. For further information please contact Phil on (02) 6721 5871 between the hours of 6:00pm and 9:00pm. 



Please note that Council publications are available in Portable Document Format (PDF) and require Abobe Acrobat to open. Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from the Adobe website  Adobe Acrobat software has an embeded 'screen reader' which can read aloud the text in most PDF files and is available for free at